Friday, November 23, 2007

I'm tired, I'm cranky, but I'm better off than the duck I ate for Thanksgiving Dinner

Well, while the rest of the country has tucked another Thanksgiving into bed, we're still holding on here in the Alaskan Suburbs. So I'll post a few pictures.

We had our first School Performance the other day, and despite the fact that I complained about racism rearing it's nasty head on several fronts, the dotter got to be an American Indian for the day...



A damn cute one at that.

In preparing for the project, the kids were asked to do an artsy project and put together a little story about what they would have done if they were the pilgrams...




All the boys made Pilgram men and all the girls made Pilgram Women. (In addition to racism, sexism is one of the many isms that are alive and well in our public schools.)
As a response to what she would have done if she were a Pilgram coming to America, the dotter wrote:



Which I find interesting largely because the kiddo assumed that if the Pilgrams had any sense they would have come to America via California... like she did at an age just shy of eleven months. I am also rather pleased to see that she would have cleaned up the house a bit in the process.

In other news, we have our first loose tooth...



And we got the kid her first pair of 'grown-up' skis, which she took to like a pro.



After I had told her that a lot of the fun in skiing involved falling down, she took to falling down a lot. It was fun.



That's it for now. I have 26 minutes left before Thanksgiving Day leaves Alaska, and I need sleep.
One last thing... I had promised my brother I'd post a link to a map showing Alaska superimposed upon the Lower 48. Here it is... ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/AK/pdfmaps/akvslower.pdf.
There you go. We're bigger. We win.

1 comment:

Linda G. said...

Love your blog Omegadad! Can't get too much of that adorable child!
We're looking forward to seeing her on her Great Grandmother's birthday..
Love your Alaska pix. My parents considered moving to Alaska in the fifties and I've never quite forgiven them for not doing it!!