Saturday, February 28, 2009

Wanted: Laws Against People Posing as Parents

Middle of the night in Alaska, and I get up to grab a snack then try to surf myself back to sleep… only to find that I don’t want to sleep now. What I want to do is stomp my feet, scream out loud and smack some people upside their heads.

I came across a news story on CNN (Conservative Nuts & Neanderthals). I don’t know why I look at CNN when I should be sleeping. Actually, I don’t know why I look at CNN at all. It’s better than Fox, but that’s like saying that swimming in bat shit is better than drowning in bat shit. Either way, you get covered in bat shit.

People are up in arms because BBC hired a young lady named Cerrie Burnell to host two kid’s shows on BBC’s CBeebies television network. Ms. Burnell was born with only one hand. I didn’t notice this when I saw her promo photo. What I did notice that she is an attractive, blonde twenty-something who does not look like Barbie. For this alone, I praise BBC. I’m sick of looking at kids TV and seeing some Barbie Wannabee trying to brainwash my daughter.

(The dotter and I have been doing kitchen science projects as of late. I’m tempted to teach her Brain Surgery. We could get a Barbie, cut open its head, and say “Look… it’s empty!!!”)

BBC has received over 25 official complaints because Ms. Burnell is disabled. Some folks are complaining because she ‘scares’ their children. (She looks like the girl next door.) Others are whining because they have been ‘forced’ to talk about disabilities with their kids.

Who the fuck let these people raise children??????? Didn’t they have to fill out the oodles and scads of paperwork detailing everything they’ve ever felt, thought, eaten or drove by? Didn’t they have to pour out their entire lives to total strangers and a judge? Didn’t they endure the months of introspection? The tedious wait on getting their paperwork processed? The home visits by social workers that have nothing to do with the home and everything to do with the homeowner?

Oh… wait… I just remembered. These people didn’t have to do these things. I did. I adopted my daughter. I had to think long and hard about being a parent before I could be a parent.

These people didn’t have to do anything.

As I said on the rant that I posted to CNN… these people aren’t parents. They’re just folks who happened to have a sperm or an egg then they happened to have a baby.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, you are indeed a gem. Thank you so much for ranting about those bigoted PC inflicted muddle headed mouse brained so-called parents and exposing CNN for the tripe purveyors they are.

Omegadad said...

Thank you Jean, and well put.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of a letter I read to the Anchorage Daily News editor a couple years back.

There was a front page story about the number of animals euthanized at the shelter simply because no one wanted them. The article was pushing people to have their pets spayed and neutered.

A woman wrote in and complained that her daughter had read that the animal featured had been euthanized and that made the mother mad.

I'm surprised humans have survived this long.

Judy said...

Well said. I will not watch CNN, ever...or Fox. We are lucky enough here to have MSNBC as an alternative. The brain surgery sounds like a good idea!

Cassie said...

Saw your llama drawing while on Walking Prescott's blog.This was a good post. Your Barbie brain surgery blurb made me laugh!I try to avoid network news and we don't get CNN, so I'm ignorant of their coverage of this story.

Subject change.So, do you plan on getting a llama or alpaca? I love alpaca & hope to someday own at least 2.

Rache said...

As an adoptive parent of a child with disabilities, I say, you GO boy! I didn't realize you had a blog until today. Congrats on The Greenhouse.